I realize I should not be spending too much time with romaji but I would like to try and understand more about how to translate hiragana to romaji. I used a translation web page and I noticed it sometimes adds spaces.

With the revised Hepburn system is this word translated like this: kisaten or kisa ten? If the later then can someone explain why.

Similar question: そうじ

Should this appear as Sō ji or Sōji

Thanks

きっさてん is commonly referred to as kissaten, see Kissaten. Please note that there are two S because of the small つ, which creates an extended /s/ sound.

For そうじ, I am assuming you mean the suru verb. I would write "sōji" since it is all one word, not separate words.

• Thanks very much. Can you explain a bit more about a glottal stop? Just 1-2 line about it would be a big help. – Alan Sep 3 '16 at 8:04
    Yes. In Japanese, when you see the small っ (chiisai tsu), it means you have to make a short kind of break in the word at that location. For example, in kissaten, instead of four syllables "ki sa te n", you should say five syllables: "ki ss sa te n". I would imagine a kind of snake sound to hold the s for one syllable. In other words, like だった (datta) instead of "da ta", you should say "da (short break) ta" – Griffen Sep 3 '16 at 8:08
  • @Alan, Please watch this video–I think it would be very beneficial youtube.com/watch?v=jVynW7frBig – Griffen Sep 3 '16 at 8:11
    It's actually neither glottal not a stop. Instead, it is a long /s/ sound. – snailcar Sep 3 '16 at 9:58
  • @snailplane Thank you for pointing that out. Since in cases such as だった and 待って it is a glottal stop, I just had it in my mind that it was a glottal stop. – Griffen Sep 3 '16 at 10:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.