Based on the text below, apparently there is a special type of table in some Japanese restaurants made for eating Katsudon.

どうしてレストランのテーブルにデスクランプがあるんだろう。
デスクランプのあるテーブルを挟んで座るって、なんだか取調室を連想させる。カツ丼専用席だろうか。

But why would tables for eating Katsudon have a light in the middle? Why would you want to lighten up just Katuson and not other foods?

I did some online searches and can't seem to figure out what the reason for this is.

「デスクランプのあるテーブルを挟んで座る」(Sitting face to face at a table/desk with a desk light on it) reminds us of 警察の取り調べ室 (police interrogation room), which is often depicted in fiction like this:

And 取り調べ室 often conjures up a stereotyped image of serving かつ丼 to the suspect:

This is because this situation is (or rather, used to be) often seen in police dramas on TV.

In the real world, however, かつ丼 is never served in a police interrogation room.

参考: Wikipedia 「カツ丼 -- 刑事ドラマ」

• Thanks, that is very interesting! However, the phrase "カツ丼専用席" seems to literally imply the table in that restaurant was special designed for eating Katsudon. Is this more of a joke or sarcasm? – Locksleyu Sep 1 '16 at 3:54
    Yeah, it sounds to me more like a joke. – Chocolate Sep 1 '16 at 3:59
    Now I'm hungry... :( – istrasci Sep 1 '16 at 15:09
    ww @istrasciさんカツ丼好きだもんねー 覚えてるよ~ :D -> japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/17617/… – Chocolate Sep 1 '16 at 23:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.