I want to ask someone (who is older than me) to show me how to wear a Yukata. I'm just not sure how to say it - slightly beyond my level.

先週私は浴衣を買いました。
Can you please show me how to wear it?

Would it be something like this construction:

見せてくださいませんか。

Thanks.

• A policy of this site is that you should first give it a try because we don't do direct translation request. What is your problem: how to say "how"? how to say "please"? Aug 31 '16 at 14:36
  • I just dont know how to connect the elements of the sentence. 見せてください - show me please/let me see (??) Really its the "can you..." part, making a request essentially.
    – Kelsey
    Aug 31 '16 at 14:41
    浴衣の着方を見せて/教えてもらえませんか。You can choose between 教えて and 見せて and you can also replace もらえませんか by a other expressions to show more or less respect to your interlocutor, for example くださいませんか. Aug 31 '16 at 14:53
    you can also see 着付け instead of 着方 Aug 31 '16 at 15:06
    Hi, welcome to JLSE. You can try using Reddit or HiNative which deals with "how do you say this"-type questions. These questions tend to attract close votes on our site unless there is a specific question to be asked about the sentence, or if there are additional elements that prevent it from being translated simply.
    – Flaw
    Aug 31 '16 at 17:14

For "(Can you) please show me how to wear it(=Yukata)", you could say:

• (浴衣の*) [着方]{きかた}を[教]{おし}えてください。
    Please show/tell me how to wear it (a Yukata).
  • (浴衣の*) 着方を教えてくれませんか。
    Can you show/tell me how to wear it (a Yukata)?
  • (浴衣の*) 着方を教えていただけませんか / 教えてくださいませんか。
    politer; Could you please show/tell me how to wear it (a Yukata)?

(*「浴衣の」 can be left out in your context.)

Use the verb 教える for "show" in the sense of "explain / give instructions".
(見せる is more like "show" in the sense of "to cause/allow something to be physically seen".)

Alternatively, you could say:

• どうやって(浴衣を*)[着]{き}る(の)か、教えていただけませんか / くださいませんか。
    Could you please show/tell me how I wear (a Yukata)?
  • どうやって(浴衣を*)着ればいいか、教えていただけませんか / くださいませんか。
    Could you please show/tell me how I should wear (a Yukata)?

(*「浴衣を」 can be left out in your context.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.