I came across this as part of a larger sentence:

あのせんせいってそういう人らしいね。

I am getting the gist of "that teacher seems like a decent person", but what is this って form noun construction? Is it just a contraction for an implied verb?

Why did you translate そういう as "decent"? – Chocolate Aug 30 '16 at 15:04
  • I didn't. I translated 人らしい as decent. – David S Aug 30 '16 at 15:06
    It's そういう人+らしい, "seems to be such a person." 「そういう」="such~~, that kind of"「らしい」="seems like~~" – Chocolate Aug 30 '16 at 15:08
  • @chocolate I translated it the same as you, but when I look in jdict it does have an entry 人らしい which it claims means "like a decent person". It's not in my dictionaries and I assume it is nonsense. Am I missing something? – user3856370 Aug 30 '16 at 15:12
    It's not parsed as 「そういう+人らしい」 but 「そういう人+らしい」. It's almost the same as 「そういう人+のようだ」「そういう人+みたいだ」"It seems like he is that kind of person." そういう is an adjectival phrase, so it can modify a noun, not an adjective. Here, it modifies the noun 人. We do have a word 「人らしい」, meaning "humane" ≂「人間らしい」「人間[味]{み}のある」, but it's an i-adjective. The adjectival そういう can't modify an i-adjective 人らしい, so you can't parse it as 「そういう+人らしい」. We usually use the i-adjective 人らしい like this: 「人らしい[行]{おこな}い」「人らしい[振]{ふ}る[舞]{ま}い」「人らしい感情」 – Chocolate Aug 30 '16 at 16:01

This って is simply a more colloquial form of the topic marker は.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 日本語でコメント書いたから、英語で説明してくれてたのね・・気づかなくて、コメント書き直してしまった。。お手数かけてすみませんでした。ややこしくてごめんね~! – Chocolate Aug 30 '16 at 16:24
  • @chocolate No problem. Your explanations are very much appreciated. – user3856370 Aug 30 '16 at 16:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.