I read that そう means it is/it so and that adding the だった, means past tense so it would only make sense that そうだった would translate into it was.

I heard someone in an anime say this and the translation was you are right. I can understand how it is so can mean you are right/ you are correct, but shouldn't it be you were correct ?

Am I missing something ?

What came just before that そうだった ? ______ My guess: [A] says an explanation. and [B] says そうだった -- meaning. [ I see. that makes sense now. ] (what i had in mind previously was not what you just told me) ---- The past tense is used because the sentiment is -- I now see that it was so (that's how it was) all along. or So i realize now. – HizHa Aug 28 '16 at 23:34

そうだった -- often means

• ( I had forgotten that )   [ it was so ].    or

• ( I should have remembered / realized / guessed .... that )   [ it was so ].

http://shouyouki.web.fc2.com/ta.htm

なお、「だった」「かった」は、回想のほかに、「想定外の現在の状態」を示すこともある。

「お前はそんな奴だったのか」とか、「こんなことも知らなかったのか」というときの「た」は、今も続く状態を今知ったということを示しており、古文の「気づきの『けり』」と同じような機能を果たしている。

Just to add onto the above answer:

そうだった is a very common expression and can have different meaning depending on context and inflection. English equivalents would be:

"Oh...yeah, that's right."

"Really?" -With an inflection at the end. Meaning I'm not sure if I believe you or that's kind of strange.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.