I am not posting the entire paragraph. Instead, this is only small part that I was confused about.

しかし、実物を手で触ることが

A.できても

B.できなくても

C.できる場合

D.できない場合

The answer is できなくても. I wonder why the answer isn't できない場合.

、人の所有物として守らなければならないものがある。文学や音楽などの作品とか、デザインや発明などである。これらのものは作った人、考え出した人の大切な財産である。実際に値段は付いていないので、売ってすぐにお金に換えることは

A.できるにしても

B.できるとなったら

C.できないにしても

D.できないとしたら

、お金や土地と同じように、「持ち主は私です」と主張することができる。

The answer is できないにしても=although cannot ...

But what is the different between できないとなったら and できないとしたら?

できなくても ("even if [one] cannot") here points to the contrast, or seeming contrariety between the intangibility of a thing and the necessity to protect it as private property (just as it is necessary to protect a tangible one as such):

However, there are things which, even if we cannot touch them, we must (nevertheless) protect as a person's property.

できない場合("if/in case [one] cannot") is just a plain conditional with no added flavor. It can be taken as suggesting that we don't have to protect property if it is tangible!

Regarding the second question, the difference between できないとなったら and できないとしたら is less significant than between these two and the correct answer できないにしても . It's like "if it proves impossible to..." (or "if one proves unable to...") v.s. "if it is impossible to..." (or if one is unable to...")

But if you can't touch actual thing by your hands, we must save that. This is quite strange, you know.

×But if

○Even if

にしても have negative nuance. example

• So にしても=even if (?) how about ~となったらand~としたら? and also the difference between 場合andても? – Devina Muljono Aug 28 '16 at 13:41
  • にしても=even if , ~となったらand~としたら= When it become or became~? 場合 is "in the case of". – Takahiro Waki Aug 28 '16 at 13:50
  • しかし、実物を手で触ることが できなくても/できない場合、人の所有物として守らなければならないものがある-> why できなくても?not できない場合? – Devina Muljono Aug 28 '16 at 13:52
    …できない場合 implies that you don't have to defend it when it's a concrete object, which is senseless. – user4092 Sep 28 '16 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.