This is from a visual novel.

A dude is talking to his underlings:

さって本日よりきさまらに新たな命令が下されるわけだが

It translates to

"Well now I’m calling you to give new orders"

I was under the impression that the passive form works like this:

A が/は B に passive form

Which means: A is affected by B’s action (directly or indirectly depending whether it's a transitive or intransitive verb)

However I don’t see how that works here. From what I can tell the sentence is constructed like this:

A が/は B に passive form

So the speaker should be the one being adversely affected by the verb (orders) however in this case he is the one doing the action (verb).

A should be affected by B's action. However A is the one doing the action towards B.

Can someone help?

• (book title) > チャクラ開放の秘宝―あなたにも神の力が与えられる < ____________ あなたに神の力が与えられる_____________きさまらに新たな命令 が下される__________i think there's an exact parallel here. – HizHa Aug 26 '16 at 19:38
  • i just had a thought about the poss. source of confusion. There are 2 ways of making a passive sentence. 1. You shall be given this gift (from/by me). 2. This gift shall be given to you (from/by me). – HizHa Aug 27 '16 at 0:58

きさまら新たな命令下される
(= 新たな命令がきさまらに下される)

The に here doesn't mark the agent (subject), but the target (indirect object) of 下す. きさまらに here means "to you", not "by you".

「上層部が貴様らに新たな命令下す」 -- active voice
(They) give new orders to you.

「新たな命令(上層部によって/から*)貴様らに下される」 -- passive voice
New orders are given to you (by them).

*によって or から is preferred, avoiding repeating に, since 「上層部貴様ら」 would sound confusing.

下す (give) takes two objects, a direct object (marked by を) and an indirect object (marked by に), so the sentence can be converted to another passive voice form:

「貴様ら(上層部に/から/によって)新たな命令下される」
You are given new orders (by them).  

Another example:

「私があなたに1万円を渡す」 I give you 10,000 yen.

「1万円が(私によって/から)あなたに渡される」 10,000 yen is given to you (by me).
「あなたが(私に/によって/から)1万円を渡される」 You are given 10,000 yen (by me).

... So, 「山田さん渡された1万円」 would be quite ambiguous: "10,000 yen that was given to Yamada, or by Yamada." (In the case of "by~~", you can usually avoid confusion by using から instead.)

So, logically speaking, 「~に下される」「~に与えられる」「~に渡される」「~に教えられる」「~に託される」「~に依頼される」 etc. can mean either "be given/taught/entrusted to ~~" or "be given/taught/entrusted by ~~", and you should see the context to tell which meaning a に is being used for.

• 「上層部」を英語でなんて言うかわかりません・・ – Chocolate Aug 27 '16 at 1:02
  • 上層部 & 英語 でググると --> Upper echelon, senior management , above brass (?) high place (?) the highest functionaries – HizHa Aug 27 '16 at 1:59
  • ^ ありがとうございます・・そですねーでもどれが適切か、私の英語力では判断できないww – Chocolate Aug 27 '16 at 3:23
  • 「~に使用される/使われる/用いられる」 -> "used by someone" と "used on/as something" ってのもありますね・・・他にもいろいろあるかもしれません – Chocolate Sep 1 '16 at 6:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.