By credit, I mean to properly write the name of the contributor on a project. Like how to tell that something is Made in ___, we use -製{せい} as in 日本製{にほんせい}.

Here is one case... In English we can use:
1. Author: John
2. Written by: John

Point 1 in Japanese might be 作家:John . I guess point 2 would be John によって書かれた (but it sounds like a sentence and not something that is written as a credit. I mean... it's quite long)

And that case only cover about books, how about a broader case such as:
- Originated from:
- Edited by:
- Created by:
- Translated by:
Is there a pattern we could use as a basic guidance?

• Is "(kei)" meant to be furigana of 製? – broccoli forest Aug 26 '16 at 5:19
  • @broccoli forest ah, I'm sorry, it should be Sei. I have fixed it and properly put the furigana on top of the kanji just now :) – Alice28 Aug 26 '16 at 5:27

It's a customary to use active voice when we refer to a work with its contributors for general purposes e.g. on the book cover.

地底――地球深部探求の歴史 デイビッド・ホワイトハウス 江口あとか
[Bookname] by David Whitehouse, translated by Atoka Eguchi (seems to be this book)

enter image description here
(source)

But for credit use, we prefer noun prefix style (your #1) to indicate them. There's no #2 equivalent with passive voice prefix, because it's grammatically impossible.

時計じかけのオレンジ A Clockwork Orange
著者:アントニイ・バージェス Author: Anthony Burgess
訳者:乾 信一郎 Translator: Shin'ichiro Inui

(source)

ガルム・ウォーズ Garm Wars
原作・脚本・監督:押井守 Original work/Scenario/Director: Mamoru Oshii
日本語版プロデューサー:鈴木敏夫 JP Producer: Toshio Suzuki
宣伝コピー:虚淵玄 Copywriting: Gen Urobuchi
 ︙ 

(source)

PS

The word 作家 means "writer" as one's profession rather than the role in relation to a work. If what you mean is "author of the work", you have to use 作者 or 著者 (particularly for books/papers). The same applies to 翻訳家 vs. 訳者 (translator), 編集者 vs 編者 (editor) etc.

I think

"Author" is 作者、著者.

"Written by" is 著、著作.

"Originated from" is 原作.

"Edited by" is 編集.

"Translated by" is 訳、翻訳.

"Created by" may be 制作 but I am not sure. They may be producers or publishers or something else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.