I found this phrase

約束リゾートへ! ベジータが家族旅行!

translated as

Vegeta Goes on a Family Trip?!

I was wondering if here 旅行 is a verb or a noun. Is the literal translation of this phrase "Vegeta goes on a family trip?" and the "goes" is assumed, is "Vegeta (and) family travels?" or is the literal translation something different to the former options?

旅行SURU (SURU is omitted) __________ called 体言止め answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101019183959AAgryhp That's a headline. Also in English > Because space is limited, headlines are written in a compressed telegraphic style, using special syntactic conventions: Forms of the verb "to be" are omitted. – HizHa Aug 25 '16 at 20:49

Titles (and advertisements) often employ 体言止め, i.e. ending a sentence with a noun. The rules are flexible, but often the 体言 can be understood as the noun of a する-verb and the almost superfluous する is omitted.

オバマが来日

In ベジータが家族旅行, 旅行する is a common する-verb, and 家族旅行をする and 家族旅行する are all about equally common (130→485, 116→478 in Google results). In any case, less important than determining which verb could have been omitted in 体言止め is that the sentence is clear without any verb.

• [ 家族旅行する ] is very common on the net. – HizHa Aug 25 '16 at 22:22
  • @H.Ha You're right. The version をする seems to be only slightly more common. I checked also 修学旅行, 新婚旅行, 慰安旅行 and it was the same for all of these. – Earthliŋ Aug 25 '16 at 22:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.