This is actually more than one question but they are connected, I dont know how to post them separated and make sense.

I was reading a translation of ゆめの続きはどこだ!? as "Where Does the Dream Continue?!

Now I knew one of the use of の is similar to the "'s" of english. But the "'s" is used only with nouns and here it's used to connect a noun with a verb. is here the verb used as a noun and a more literal translation would be "where does the dream's continuation is?" and the translation was adapted to sound more natural? (correct me if I'm wrong) . And the other question is, when I want to join a noun with a verb with the の particle, do I have to put the verb in infinitive?

The translation has been arranged, literally it renders as "where is the dream's sequel?" as you guessed, here 続き is a noun not a verb. – 永劫回帰 Aug 25 '16 at 16:57

You're absolutely right!

続き{つづき} here is a noun form of the verb 続く{つづく}meaning "continuation" or "sequel".

ゆめの続き - The dream's continuation

ゆめの続きはどこだ - The dream's continuation is where? (literal translation)

==> Correct for fluency: "Where Does the Dream Continue?!" <-- your translation :)

As for verb --> noun changes, it works for some verbs, but not all. Here are some examples

違う{ちがう} To differ, disagree --> 違い Difference

答える{こたえる}To answer --> 答え (an) Answer

悲しむ{かなしむ}To be sad --> 悲しみ Sadness

But this doesn't apply to all cases like,

食べる to eat -> 食べ (an eat?)

数える to count - > 数え (a count?)

In these cases, it all depends on the word, some of these words just use their kanjis for the noun form. (食 as in 日本食、数 as in 点数 etc.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.