I am a beginner. I know

Did he open the window?
かれはまどをあけましたか。

I just don't know where to insert the "why" in the sentence.

Update: I forgot it is あけました because of "did". I can construct simple questions of when, where, why, who, what. So, this can be どうしてかれはまどをあけましたか。for "Why did he open the window?"?

1) I know Did he open the window? - かれはまどをあけますか -> かれはまどをあけまか is the present tense, "Does/Will he open~?" The past tense "Did he open~?" would be かれはまどをあけましたか. 2) I just don't know where to insert the "why" in the sentence -> Just put it anywhere you like, and you'd be understood most of the time. Show us your attempt first, and we'll always be ready to help – Chocolate Aug 27 '16 at 3:09
    Do read the link provided in the close reason. Our site's scope does not include direct translation requests and alternative sites have been recommended in the meta-post. I'm sorry you feel disappointed, but in the first revision of this question your question is off-topic for our site. – Flaw Aug 27 '16 at 4:01
  • Questions can be formed simply by adding the question marker か to a sentence. Do you know how to form questions with a question word such as when, where, why, who, what, etc.? – Earthliŋ Aug 27 '16 at 7:00
    "on hold" means that we need more information from you (over on the original question) to make it on-topic and open to answers. – Earthliŋ Aug 27 '16 at 7:06
    I merged you two questions. You should also have your two accounts merged (via the "contact us" link at the bottom of your profile). – Earthliŋ Aug 27 '16 at 10:24

I know Did he open the window? - かれはまどをあけますか。

かれはまどをあけまか is the present tense, "Does/Will he open the window?"

To say "Did he open the window?", you say かれはまどをあけましたか。

I just don't know where to insert the "why" in the sentence.

Just put it anywhere and you'd be understood most of the time, but I think we usually put it at the beginning of the sentence or right after the subject, so you get:

どうしてかれはまどをあけましたか。
かれはどうしてまどをあけましたか。
なぜかれはまどをあけましたか。
かれはなぜまどをあけましたか。

These above sentences make sense and are grammatically correct (I believe), but I think it'd be more natural (in real life, at least) to say:

どうしてかれはまどをあけたんですか
かれはどうしてまどをあけたんですか
なぜかれはまどをあけたんですか
かれはなぜまどをあけたんですか

... ending with んですか (which is the contracted form of のですか), using the explanatory の.

どうして is more casual than なぜ, as you might know.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.