I came across the sentence

入って{はいって}いいのかな

and I wasn't able to translate it into English.

If I'm not mistaken the first Kanji is read as "Hai" annd this should mean "enter" right ? Then it goes on with "tsute" which is supposed to mean something like "if". "ii" means "good" so and "no" indicates a question. The last two hiragana should mean "I wonder" or "Wonder" but if I put all of this into one sentence I would come to "I wonder if it will be good if I enter". But somehow that makes no sense to me.

It would be nice if someone could explain it to me.

• Do you know how to conjugate Japanese verbs? – Earthliŋ Aug 24 '16 at 15:55
  • To be honest no. – Kyevabu Aug 24 '16 at 16:26

~て(も)いい is a fixed pattern to say "it's okay if ..." or ask (in a question) "is it okay if ...", which derives from the more general ~ても "even if", so that we have something like

~て(も)いい
it's okay if ...
lit. even if ... it's good.

In your example

入って(も)いいかな
I wonder if it's okay if [I] enter

Considering that you don't know how to conjugate verbs, your guess was pretty good. Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_verb_conjugation you will learn that って is the okurigana for the te-form of 入る "to enter", i.e. 入って is a conjugation of the verb 入る.

• No problem. If this answered your question, you can mark this question as answered by accepting this answer (check mark); or you can wait for other answers. – Earthliŋ Aug 25 '16 at 15:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.