I'm trying to say something like "how much EXP do you get for defeating that monster?" Is there a particle I should be using here?

My attempt is this:

そのモンスターを倒したらどれくらいの経験値が貰えるの?

But at least to my native-English-speaking brain, this feels more like "how much EXP do you get IF you defeat that monster?" whereas I'm looking more for something that takes the monster-defeating as a given. But perhaps I'm just thinking too much from an English perspective here, so I'd appreciate any clarification. :)

"How much EXP do you get for defeating that monster?"

--------> 
  1. そのモンスター撃退で得られる経験値は?

そのモンスター撃退によって得られる経験値は?  

そのモンスター撃退により ........

My favorite:

1. そのモンスターを撃退して得られる経験値は?

( [1.で] and [2.て] are both Te-forms ) . . . [1.で] is a Te-form, the same as the example (6) below.

See: What is the role of あるいて?

(5) a.  公園でポピーに会って, ヒューはとても喜んだ。 
    b.  [Bumping into] Poppy in the park, [Hugh] was very pleased.
          Having bumped into ... , 

(6) a.  今日は土曜日で, ヒューは学校がある。 
    b.  Today being Saturday, [Hugh] has school.

(7) a.  正直に言って, クーは太りすぎだ。 
    b.  Honestly speaking, Koo is overweight.

P.S. --- I think Mr. Chocolate is correct in pointing out that the DE in [ そのモンスター撃退で得られる経験値は? ] is not a Te-form.

I think the following examples use the Te-form. (Ok, maybe not the last two.) So the distinction is pretty tricky.

• そのモンスター撃退で経験値は何点来る?

• そのモンスター撃退で 経験値は何点 得られるの?

• そのモンスター撃沈で どれだけ経験値が得られる?

• そのモンスター撃沈で何点の経験値をゲット?

• そのモンスター撃沈で増える経験値は? ---- ( or 貰える )

• そのモンスター撃退で来る経験値は何点?

Your translation attempt looks already perfect to me, but if you want to translate even more literally, you can say:

そのモンスターを倒すことでどれくらいの経験値が貰えるの?

こと after a verb is a nominalizer, which turns verbs into nouns, like -ing in English. で is the particle which corresponds to by or for in this case.

Optionally you can also say:

そのモンスターを倒すことによってどれくらいの経験値が貰えるの?

...but this may be a bit too stiff in a sentence like this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.