When making a statement like:

I thought I had gone to the cinema.

Do you say:

映画館{えいがかん}に行った{いった}と思いました{おもいました}。

or:

映画館{えいがかん}に行った{いった}か思いました{おもいました}。

And how does it work with other verbs that are not like thinking, considering, saying? Which one am I supposed to use then?

• You type furigana inside { } after the word and it gets automatically converted to ruby. Click on edit to see how it works. You type it in the same way regardless if you are using a browser or the mobile app.
    – macraf
    Aug 23, 2016 at 23:25
    What is the meaning you want to convey? I'm not sure in what situation you'd use the English phrase.
    – macraf
    Aug 23, 2016 at 23:28
  • (Why am I here?) w w w w ............ [I thought I had gone to the cinema.] <-- Is this a case of amnesia? Confusing dreaming and reality? _______________________________This is clearly wrong: 映画館​に​行​ったか​思​いました。
    – HizHa
    Aug 24, 2016 at 0:46
  • ... as a relative clause... I thought I had gone to the cinema. 映画館に行ったと思いました ← Is there a "relative clause"/関係詞節 in these sentences? The "that" in "I thought that I had..." is not a relative pronoun, is it?
    – chocolate
    Aug 24, 2016 at 3:35
    Right, there are no relative clauses here in any of the English or Japanese examples.
    – user1478
    Aug 24, 2016 at 7:25

1 Answer 1

To say "think that (some sentence here)", 思う always takes the quotative particle, と. So 映画館に行ったか思いました is ungrammatical.

The following two sentences are grammatical:

• 映画館に行ったと思いました。
    I thought (someone) went to the cinema.
  • 映画館に行ったかと思いました。
    I thought (someone) perhaps went to the cinema. / I wondered if (someone) went to the cinema.

The か in the latter sentence is a question marker, which in this case introduces some uncertainty to the sentence.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .