When making a statement like:

I thought I had gone to the cinema.

Do you say:

映画館{えいがかん}に行った{いった}と思いました{おもいました}。

or:

映画館{えいがかん}に行った{いった}か思いました{おもいました}。

And how does it work with other verbs that are not like thinking, considering, saying? Which one am I supposed to use then?

• You type furigana inside { } after the word and it gets automatically converted to ruby. Click on edit to see how it works. You type it in the same way regardless if you are using a browser or the mobile app. – macraf Aug 23 '16 at 23:25
    What is the meaning you want to convey? I'm not sure in what situation you'd use the English phrase. – macraf Aug 23 '16 at 23:28
  • (Why am I here?) w w w w ............ [I thought I had gone to the cinema.] <-- Is this a case of amnesia? Confusing dreaming and reality? _______________________________This is clearly wrong: 映画館​に​行​ったか​思​いました。 – HizHa Aug 24 '16 at 0:46
  • ... as a relative clause... I thought I had gone to the cinema. 映画館に行ったと思いました ← Is there a "relative clause"/関係詞節 in these sentences? The "that" in "I thought that I had..." is not a relative pronoun, is it? – Chocolate Aug 24 '16 at 3:35
    Right, there are no relative clauses here in any of the English or Japanese examples. – snailboat Aug 24 '16 at 7:25

To say "think that (some sentence here)", 思う always takes the quotative particle, と. So 映画館に行ったか思いました is ungrammatical.

The following two sentences are grammatical:

• 映画館に行ったと思いました。
    I thought (someone) went to the cinema.
  • 映画館に行ったかと思いました。
    I thought (someone) perhaps went to the cinema. / I wondered if (someone) went to the cinema.

The か in the latter sentence is a question marker, which in this case introduces some uncertainty to the sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.