I have searched through a few dictionaries and through google but i can't seem to find an answer. from the fact that it's not found in any standard dictionary indicates it's an abbreviation but because of that i don't know the original word. so can't find it.

one sentence example:

「その辺は問題ないわ。私達神々の親切サポートによって、異世界に行く際にあなたの脳に負荷を掛けて、一瞬で習得できるわ。もちろん文字だって読めるよ?副作用として、運が悪いとパーになるかもだけれど。・・・だから、後は凄い能力か装備を選ぶだけね」

Example 2:

もしかしたらパーになるかもという恐怖はあるが、自慢ではないが運の強さに関してだけは、子供の頃から自信がある。

You might be having trouble finding it because it's apparently listed as ぱあ in dictionaries. See definition #3 for the meaning of パー in your examples.

From デジタル大辞泉 definition on Kotobank:

ぱあ

[名・形動]

1 じゃんけんで、5本の指をすべて開いた形。かみ。「ぐう、ちょき、ぱあ」

2 持っていた金品がすっかりなくなること。それまで苦労したことが全くむだになること。また、そのさま。「台風で旅行の計画がぱあになる」

3 間抜けなこと。また、そのさま。ばか。「あいつぱあなんじゃないか」

いや、この文脈ではExample 1 も Example 2 も、 #3の意味でしょう。脳に負荷をかける副作用で、クルクルパーになるかもしれない、という。。 – Chocolate Aug 21 '16 at 4:11
    あっ、そうなんですね。先、回答を編集しました。教えていただきありがとうございました。 – agnesi Aug 21 '16 at 5:06
  • Ah, i can see how it fits into all this now. Thank you very much. – noobtube2 Aug 21 '16 at 16:17
  • Do we know why the name of the "paper" move in RPS came to mean to lose everything or to have everything come to nothing? – jogloran Aug 26 '16 at 4:04

“パー” as popular slang means “idiocy.” For example, we say:

• 僕たちの言うことが全く解らない。あいつはパーだ – He is really an idiot! He doesn’t understand what we are saying at all.

• 彼はまたばかなことをした。ほんとにパーだな – He made the same mistake again. He is a damn idiot.

Therefore 「パーになる」 means “become an idiot, or imbecile."

So, the line, “副作用として、運が悪いとパーになるかもだけれど” can be interpreted as:

“If you are unlucky, you may become an idiot as a side effect of the operation by imposing a heavy load to your brain.”

and, “もしかしたらパーになるかもという恐怖はあるが” as:

“Though I have a fear that I may turn into an idiot, if it didn’t work.”

「パーになる」 also means “come to nothing,” and “end in a total failure.” We say:

• 市のソニー組み立て工場誘致計画はパーになった – The City’s plan to solicit Sony’s assembly factory was busted.

• 彼の会社は倒産して、あれほどあった資産もパーになった – His company went bankrupt. All assets that rose above have gone.

“パー” as popular slang meaning “idiocy.” -- I wonder what that suggests about golf? </oyaji> – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 17 '16 at 1:44
  • "Par, par three, par four, par X " are commonly used in golf in the same way as in English. But 〝パー - pah" in my examples are irrelevant to "par" being used when golfing. I don't know the origin of Japanese パー. Maybe it's from パー of グー、チョキ、パー in "Rock, scissors and paper" game. When you open the palm, it means empty - nothing is left. It's my guess. – Yoichi Oishi Dec 17 '16 at 9:07
  • 冗談:外れた!(´д`)ご迷惑すみませんでした。「パー」=「バカ」ならば、というところからの親父ギャグに過ぎませんでした。(^^) – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 19 '16 at 19:21

Not so sure about the context, but from reading your example, most likely the direct translation would be "screwed up". It's not a formal word, rather used conversationally.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.