I would like to know the difference between these words, please write some example sentences.

Possible Duplicate: ひらく / とじる vs. あける / しめる – Flaw Aug 20 '16 at 15:52
  • ^That link is helpful but I don't think it answers the question. Unless I'm missing something it just says that the two are used differently without saying why. – user3856370 Aug 20 '16 at 16:07
  • @user3856370 I rather think the accepted answer in that link tells sufficiently how and why they're different, and becomes a superset of what needs to be answered here. – broccoli forest Aug 21 '16 at 16:41
  • @broccoliforest Your right. I guess I was getting confused with how you know when to use あく or あける for example when they can both be transitive and intransitive. – user3856370 Aug 21 '16 at 16:47

As in Flaw's comment, あく is intransitive and ひらく can be both. The transitive form of あく is 開ける(あける). And don't confuse 開くwith 空く(あく)which means to become vacant.

開く(あく)to be opened

その店は開く This shop is opened

開く(ひらく)to open

私は窓を開く I open a window

It seems your answer tries to distinguish them by transitivity. However, ひらく can be transitive or intransitive while あく is intransitive. – Flaw Aug 20 '16 at 15:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.