I am a beginner in Japanese so I was trying to write some simple sentences to practice my vocabulary and grammar.

I wanted to write the sentence:

My friend is in Japan for three weeks.

as:

私の友達が 三週間 日本に います。

I am unsure if I should put any particle after 三週間 and whether this sentence is grammatically correct at all.

[間]{かん} itself is functioning as a suffix indicating 'interval' or 'period of time'. In other words, '三週間' literally translates to '三週 (three weeks) + 間 (during or for)'. Therefore, you don't need any other particle or suffix after '三週間'.

One more important thing you should note is Japanese normally doesn’t put spaces between words.

You could insert:

私の友達が三週間のあいだ日本にいます。

私の友達は、三週間の間 日本にいます。

三週間の間 sounds redundant but it's correct.

Many people insert に making it "...週間の間に" but it's often incorrect (sloppy diction).

This first example (below) is ungrammatical / illogical -- or especially sloppy.

【衝撃】たった4週間の間に毎日3Lの水を飲み続けた女性の変化がヤバすぎ! 皆さん、普段の生活の中で意識して”水”を飲 ... .......

( I suppose she got prettier and/or younger-looking. )

緊急警告!!一週間の間に「東京大地震」がくる可能性があります。

…の間に is not incorrect but different from …の間. The former means that something happens within the three weeks and the latter means something continues for three weeks. – user4092 Aug 19 '16 at 2:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.