I'm stuck in this paragraph :

叫び声を上げようと口を開いた瞬間、こぼれ出たのは絶叫ではなく血塊だ。  せき込み、喉からこみ上げる命の源を思うさまに吐き出す。ごぼごぼと、口の端を血泡が浮かぶほどの吐血。

I don't fully understand the following sentence :

せきこみ、喉から込み上げる命の源を思うさまに吐き出す。

What I understand is :

He cough violently, and threw out at the fact he was thinking at the 命の源 which was making him wanting to throw up.

It might seem like gibberish but I don't want to translate, I just want to understand

What does 喉からこみ上げる really means ? I understand it as something that makes up have 吐き気, is it right ?

How to read the 源 ? みなもと ? げん?

What is the meaning of さまに exactly ? I saw on the dictionary that it means a "state", but how is it different to "思うことに吐き出す" or something like that ?

Is 吐き出す "vomit" or "say frankly" in this sentence ? I understand it as vomit, but a japanese friend told me that it mainly meant "思いをぶちまける"..

Thanks!!

{ [ ( 喉からこみ上げる→)命の源 ] を } ( 思うさまに ) 吐き出す。
  • 喉からこみ上げる命の源 is a noun phrase that functions as the direct object of 吐き出す.
    • 喉からこみ上げる (lit. "welling up from the throat") is a relative clause that modifies 命の源.
    • 命の源 (lit. "the source of life") in this context metaphorically refers to his blood. This 源 is read みなもと.
  • 思うさまに is an idiomatic adverbial phrase which usually means the same as 思うままに/思う存分 ("at one's disposal", "in abandon", "as much as one wishes"). See this entry. In this context, it's closer to 思い切り ("with all one's might"). It modifies 吐き出す.
  • 吐き出す means (physically) "to throw up".
  • Thanks that's all I needed!! So 命の源 is the blood... I wouldn't have found this one out by myself – Tchang Aug 17 '16 at 11:18

I could be wrong, but let me try:

• 喉から: from throat
  • こみ上げる : building up
  • [命]{いにち}の[源]{みなもと}:source of life/ life energy
  • を思う[さま]{よう}に:thinking like
  • 吐き出す: vomit out/ throw up

so, the meaning could be:

Coughing like throwing up his source of life (that is building up) out of his throat.

I think さま:様:よう means similar. And the 吐き出す is definitely vomit, because the context is that he is sick, coughing and throwing up some blood...

• 思うさま - 【おもうさま】 (adv) to one's heart's content – oals Aug 17 '16 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.