I'm looking for a saying that explains that A and B aren't better or worse, they are simply different. More specifically, that a Japanese way of doing things isn't better or worse [than a western one], but for me [a westerner] doing it the Japanese way will be worse, because I've been educated in such a different manner that it would be like "trying to force a square through a circle".

Any takers?

• Do you want a phrase that means "A and B differ significantly in quality" or "A and B put together looks awkward"? – broccoli forest Aug 16 '16 at 15:00
    'trying to force a square through a circle' doesn't mean what you're saying in the rest of your question... – virmaior Aug 17 '16 at 2:53
  • Like others have said I don't think that the idiom's meaning coincides with the meaning you want to convey. Something more along the lines of "It's like forcing a horse to ride a bike." – Leo Aug 19 '16 at 3:13

How about...

「[木]{き}に[竹]{たけ}を[接]{つ}ぐ」?

It would be like "trying to force a square through a circle".
「まるで、木に竹を接ぐようなものだ。」

Sources:
英辞郎 "square peg in a round hole"
故事ことわざ辞典「木に竹を接ぐ」

• "Like grafting bamboo to a tree", that's a very clever saying 😃 – bcloutier Aug 16 '16 at 14:04

We have an established saying, "丸を四角に言いくるめる," which can be literally translated as "(try to) pursuade / convince sb. a circle as a square, and matches up your quote - "trying to force a square through a circle".

There are several variations to "丸を四角に言いくるめる," for examples, "カラスをサギと言いくるめる - insist on a crow as a white heron" and "白を黒と言い張る - insist on white as black.

These expressions are applied to an obstinate or dishonest person and his / her behavior, because he / she is pushing a wrong and illogical assertion on others.

We need a [Proverb] tag!

I can't think of a nice, colorful Jp expression for [ A and B aren't better or worse, they are simply different.] -- like comparing apples and oranges.

比較のしょうがない

比較してもしょうがない

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_peg_in_a_round_hole    "Square peg in a round hole" is an idiomatic expression which describes the unusual individualist who could not fit into a niche of his or her society.

As for an [eccentric maverick], I can't think of a colorful Jp expression or proverb either.

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=maverick

maverick figure 《a ~》   型破りな[わが道を行くタイプの]人物

異端児   一匹オオカミ      独立独行の、型破りの

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.