I was wondering about the translation of this sentence: (一人くらいは来てくれるんじゃないかな...) What I see is a double negative and a question. Does someone know if the double negative and question are used to save face, in a sense, from the speaker, or am I missing something really obvious...

来てくれるん - first negative. じゃない - second negative.

Maybe it'll help if you explained where the first and second negatives are. – Flaw Aug 12 '16 at 18:07
  • There is a ん that makes a verb negative, but it's in the same place as ない; in other words, if this were the ~ん negative, it would be 来てくれん. (Other examples: 飲まん, 食べん, 分からん.) – Aeon Akechi Aug 13 '16 at 4:20
  • 来てくれるん is contraction of 来てくれるの and it's not negative. – user4092 Aug 13 '16 at 7:18

In general I think it's correct to say double negative and question are used to save face but I'm not sure if this sentence is double negative.

The expression 来てくれるん is not a negative sentence and also the expression ~じゃない? does use the negative form but is not really a negative sentence either and is more like a question.

For example, something similar in English may be

Isn't it cold?

Japanese translation would be

寒{さむ}くない?

The expression ~んじゃない? is used to say something with some assumptions and also kind of asking for agreement from the listener just like the example above.

Some examples are:

今日は雨がふるんじゃない?

(You see dark clouds) Don't you think it's going to rain?

A: あ!財布{さいふ}がない!

B: レストランに 忘れたんじゃない?

(You saw your friend use her/his wallet at the restaurant) Maybe you left it at the restaurant?

~かな... is used to make it not sound like pushy when stating your opinion. I think it's because it sounds like you are stating your opinion as if you are asking it to yourself or talking to yourself. It's like hmm I think.

• I know that じゃない is used as a question but the sentence already ends with a かな, and doesn't the ん after 来てくれる make it a negative verb? – dreyte5rhtjsrtej Aug 12 '16 at 18:18
  • I've edited my answer and added some examples. Hope it helps. – kabichan Aug 12 '16 at 18:35
  • Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the help. – dreyte5rhtjsrtej Aug 12 '16 at 19:48

"来てくれるんじゃないか" is same with "来てくれるのではないか", hence it is not negative.

"ではないか(な)" such as "来るのではないか" is thinking/guessing/suspecting a possibility. The sentence means that the talker thinks (or expects) there is a possibility that at least one may come. I believe face(shame or pride) is not related here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.