The kids are discussing whether they want a male or female trainee teacher. One of them runs in from the playground and says:

「やっぱ男じゃねぇとな」

I assume this is a colloquial form of

「やっぱり男じゃないと言ったな」
As expected, I said that it's not a man.

I think my translation must be wrong because afterwards we have:

「...上品で清楚なレディだとうれしい」
「いやいやいやン。ああ神様、どうか男の人が来ますように」
...I'll be happy if it's an elegant well groomed lady
No way! Ah, please God, let it be a man.

which suggests that they still don't know the identity of the teacher.

How should I understand やっぱ男じゃねぇとな?

「レディ」じゃなくて「レヂィ」って書いてあるんですか。。。 – Chocolate Aug 10 '16 at 1:22

It's probably やっぱり男じゃないと(できない)な or やっぱり男じゃないと(だめだ)な.

Probably referring to the character wanting a male teacher because of some internal reason (perhaps his image of teachers are male or there is something else previous that gives that impression that he prefers male teacher over female)

• Thanks. So と is 'if' in this case. I still don't really understand what やっぱり means in this context though. – user3856370 Aug 9 '16 at 19:55
    I can't explain it well but, it's something like, "as expected" in the sense that "as expected when I think of teachers, they are male and so i hope that the teacher is male" kind of thing? – ishikun Aug 9 '16 at 20:04
  • It also has the sense "in the end". やっぱり、君がいないとダメだ. (as expected/in the end I'm worthless without you) – ishikun Aug 9 '16 at 20:05

Think of it as the very casual "Honestly, if it ain't a man, well...." where "Honestly" is "やっぱ(り)" and "well" is "な".

The forms "-ないとならない", "-ないといけない", or "-ないとだめ" are so usual that in spoken language it's common to drop what comes after the "と". Most likely here, it's "だめ", expressing the locutor's feelings.

You can see the parallel in the next sentence: "... レディだとうれしい", which quite literally means "if it's a (...) lady, I'm happy". Here, the parallel is "Xだと || feeling": "If it's X || I feel happy"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.