1) "Aoi no hon wa koko desu." (A blue book here, is) or
2) "Koko ni aoi no hon ga arimasu."(Here a blue book is)

Is one MORE correct than the other?
Is one more casual, and the other formal?
Is one COMPLETELY wrong?

Feel free to give other examples as well,
even "imasu" examples of animate objects.

1. 「青いの本わここです。」

should be

1. 「青い本はここです。」

The の particle isn't necessary when an adjective is modifying a noun.

1. 「ここに青いの本があります。」

should be

1. 「ここに青い本があります。」

You were pretty close to perfect, although the の still isn't necessary.

I'd say the two phrases mean the exact same thing, but how they might come about would be different. So if someone asked 「青い本はどこですか?」, you'd reply with the first sentence. But if they asked 「そこに何がありますか?」, you'd reply with the second.

青い本はここです/ここだ sound fine to me. "when you are specifying the location of an inanimate object, you need to use ある, not です" <- Do you have a source? Your textbook says this? Maybe you saw something like "For an inanimate object, you need to use ある, not いる ", no? ところで、"「青い本はここです 」 should be 「青い本はここにある 。」" "you need to use ある , not です " <- 丁寧形(ですます調)に統一した方がいいのではないでしょうか。。。 – Chocolate Aug 8 '16 at 0:36
    You're right, my mind was mixing up いる and です. ある/いる/です differences are still a difficulty of mine, I will edit the answer to reflect this. – bcloutier Aug 8 '16 at 0:56
  • When you say "の is not necessary" do you mean: "It is still correct, but hey, why go through the trouble unless youn are trying to explain it to a beginner"? Or did you mean: "NO! Don't EVER do it that way for any reason at all!" ? Is there a difference for casual/formal/honorific speach? (Besides ある and いる being more casual than あります and います , I mean.) – Ronk Aug 8 '16 at 10:01
  • @Ronk You can't use の with i-adjectives. 青いの本 is wrong. You can write 青の本 though. Some of the colours (red, blue, white, black) have a form where you drop the い and use の. – user3856370 Aug 8 '16 at 18:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.