What does ビクビクのヌルヌルで mean?

As for context, she was trying to remove the fish she had just caught from her fishing rod. It's clear that shes referring to the fish, but the の between ビクビク and ヌルヌル is confusing me as to what is being said.

What on earth does びくびくのぬるぬる mean?

I think ヌルヌル means slimy/slippery. source – Malper Aug 6 '16 at 13:31
    Slippery is ツルツル. – Takahiro Waki Aug 7 '16 at 18:22

As stated in the comment section and in the other answer, ヌルヌル means "slimy", "slippery" and hard to grab hold of.

ビクビク often means "to feel scared", but here in your example it has nothing to do with "feeling scared". 明鏡国語辞典 explains びくびく as follows:

びくびく〘副詞〙 ❶ 恐怖・不安に敏感になっておびえるさま。 ❷ 体などが何度もふるえ動くさま。

We use ビクビク, ビクッ, or ビクン to describe a sudden and violent convulsive movement, as well as a 痙攣 (convulsion, twitch, cramp), so the ビクビク here is more like "to wriggle" or "to twitch", and indicates the sudden and quick movement of the fish. Here're a few examples of this use of ビクビク:

The の here is used to connect the two mimetic words, like "and". You can rephrase ビクビクのヌルヌルで as ビクビク(その上)ヌルヌルで or ビクビクしていて(その上)ヌルヌルしていて, "The fish was wriggling and slimy". To me, ビクビクヌルヌル sounds a little more emphatic than normal ビクビクヌルヌル.

I couldn't find the definition of this use of の in a paper or online dictionary. I'll just quote a couple of examples from the web:

Unless it's strictly G-rated (Doraemon, Anpan-man, ...), I'd guess that some suggestive humor is intended.

Do a search with  [ ビクビク and ヌルヌル ]  and you'll see ...

https://www.google.co.jp/#q=%E3%83%93%E3%82%AF%E3%83%93%E3%82%AF++++%E3%83%8C%E3%83%AB%E3%83%8C%E3%83%AB

( Every one of the top 50 hits is explicit material. )

I didn't realize that the expression ビクビク感じちゃう had become so common.

Ok, i now see that strictly G-rated manga, novel, story, etc.
     would never use the combination  [ ビクビク  and  ヌルヌル ]

並立助詞 ヘイリツジョシ ......... 現代語では、「と」「に」「か」「や」「やら」「の」「だの」など、古語では「や」「の」など。並列助詞。

出典 浮世風呂 滑稽   「着物がきたねの、貧乏人だのと」

http://www.kokugobunpou.com/%E5%8A%A9%E8%A9%9E/%E6%A0%BC%E5%8A%A9%E8%A9%9E%E3%82%92%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%81%97%E3%82%88%E3%81%86/

(4) 並立語を表す(並立格)     「の」「に」「と」「や」がつく文節は、並立語になる。 
               (例)生きる の 死ぬ の と大騒ぎをする。 
                     行く の 行かない の とはっきりしない。 

Re: chocolate's comments (below). -- (I still have to re-read them.) -- chocolate's comments are excellent.

As chocolate says, I think they may be different.

• 四の五の言うな (四だの五だの言うな ?) -- This is just a list of examples (connected by OR ?)

• 「ギタギタ の メロメロ の ボロボロ にしてやる。」 -- Jaian (Gian) is saying [ I'll make you ... AND ... AND ... ! ]

並立助詞「の」の「~の~のと」「~だの~だのと」の例文は「着物が汚ねえの、貧乏人のと」「生きるの死ぬのと、大騒ぎをする」「行くの行かないのとはっきりしない」と言い換え可能ですし、引用の「と」がついていて引用の意味があり「着物が汚い(だ)とか貧乏人(だ)とか」「生きる(だ)とか死ぬ(だ)とか言って大騒ぎする」とも言い換えられます。しかし、「ビクビクヌルヌルで」「つるつるピカピカにする」などは、二つ目の語の後に「の」がなく、「~の~のと」にも「~だの~だの」にも「~だの~だのと」にも言い換えられませんし、引用の意味もなく「~とか~とか言って」にもできません。また、ピッチアクセントが違い、「~の~の」の場合「[生きるの死ぬの]{LHLLLHL}と」「[行くの行かないの]{LHLLHHLL}と」と「の」が低いのに対し、「[ピカピカの]{LHHHHH}つるつる」などの「の」は高いです。これらのことから、辞書に載っている「~の~のと」「~だの~だのと」の用法とは異なるものだと思うのですが、いかがでしょうか。 – Chocolate Aug 9 '16 at 0:19
  • "As chocolate says, I think they may be different". The one you mention is similar to a nominalizing の, the one in the OP is more akin to a "genitive" の. – dainichi Aug 9 '16 at 5:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.