I'm trying to think of a good translation for the word 面倒 when used to refer to a person in a negative way, as in:


The context is someone who is being very talkative and persistently debating a certain point, to the extent they are referring to their own speech as 屁理屈.

I can think of a bunch of related words, but nothing really seems to sound just right: annoying, troublesome, tedious, detail-oriented, argumentative, anal, etc.

You can see it used in context here if needed.

This is my best guess so far. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

You're one of those annoying argumentative people.
  • How about douc**bag? – ishikun Aug 5 '16 at 22:37
  • Hmm... I did consider some insults like that, but I think they are overly generic. Also I'd prefer to avoid non-child-friendly words like your example. – Locksleyu Aug 5 '16 at 22:43
  • Haha makes sense :P – ishikun Aug 5 '16 at 22:44

How about: You're one of those people.

Note the italics.

  • Not bad... Maybe the best translation so far. – Locksleyu Aug 6 '16 at 2:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.