I have trouble understanding these 2 sentences below...
Note: There is no further context provided.

1. 発車{はっしゃ}のベルが鳴{な}っているので飛{と}び乗{の}ったら、反対方向{はんたいほうこう}の電車{でんしゃ}だった

My attempt: Because the departure bell is ringing, if you hop (to the train), you will get into the opposite direction.

The sentence doesn't make sense to me... :(

1. 就職{しゅうしょく}試験{しけん}の結果{けっか}の連絡{れんらく}だと思って急いで電話に出{で}たら、間{ま}違{ちが}い電話{でんわ}だった

My attempt: If you are thinking about the notification result of the employment examination while make a phone call in a hurry, you will end up with calling a wrong number.

I'm not sure if I understand 急いで電話に出{で}たら correctly. Since isn't make a phone call "電話をかける"? But it would be strange to end up with a wrong number if you were receiving a phone call...

• 電話に出る to answer the phone; the phone is ringing, you think it's the phone call you're waiting for (so you hurry to answer), but it isn't. But it would be strange to end up with a wrong number if you were receiving a phone call... What's strange with that? People call wrong numbers all the time. – oals Aug 5 '16 at 10:06
  • @oals yes you are right, it does make sense to receive a wrong phone call... My apologies, it seems my brain was not working correctly too much hard work trying to figure out the sentence :( ... And thanks for clearing it up! – Alice28 Aug 5 '16 at 10:52
  • That makes two of us then. I couldn't at first figure out the first one myself either, but then it suddenly started to make sense. (I only had half an answer when I wrote the comment.) – oals Aug 5 '16 at 12:28

For both sentences, you can translate the 「〜たら、……だった」 as 'it turned out to be ...'

Also, both of the 〜たら have the meaning 'when', not 'if'.

発車のベルが鳴っているので飛び乗ったら、反対方向の電車だった

• 発車のベル 'the bell announcing a departing train'
  • 飛び乗る 'to hop onto (the train)'
  • There's a missing subject. I'm translating it as 'I' barring further context. The 'generic you' as you translated the sentences with is incorrect because it's specifying a one-off event.

'I hopped onto the train because the departure bell was ringing, and it turned out to be the wrong train (going into the opposite direction).'

1. 就職試験の結果の連絡だと思って急いで電話に出たら、間違い電話だった
  • 就職試験の結果の連絡 'a phone call announcing the results of ...'
  • 電話に出る 'to answer the phone'
  • Another missing subject. Translated as 'I' again.
  • 間違い電話 'it turned out to be the wrong number' (someone called your number mistakenly)

'I thought someone was phoning the results for the 就職試験 and hurried to the ringing phone, but it turns out it was a wrong number.'

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.