Could you please confirm the reading of what I think are two instances of a (Kansai?) dialect that I've seen in the same manga chapter today. The first one (with a context):

あの車ね、結局、私が買っちゃったんだ。マルコさん買ってもあんまし[乗]{の}[ん]{ら}なかったし。

Furigana is mine and shows the reading I would expect there (i.e. that 乗 is read 「の」 and that next ん is a dialect for ら (and the whole thing is a past negative of [乗]{の}る)).

The second instance is

また[来]{き}[な]{て}ね。

I omit the context, but the meaning is unmistakably "come again". Though this time it could be a contraction of [来]{き}なさい, it doesn't feel like a command in the context, so I suspect the same dialect again.

So, am I right about [乗]{の} and [来]{き} readings, or do I miss it entirely?

The correct readings are 乗{の}んなかった and 来{き}なね. This link might help! I don't know if the origins are from the kansai region but it is often heard on TV and in kantou as well.

ら is often omitted in place for ん because it is easier to say. One good example is 分{わ}からない and 分{わ}かんない.

The second one of verb stem + な represents a light-hearted command.

e.g. 食{た}べなよ! Take a bite!

NOTE: Neither of these forms are formal.

のんかった < is this typo? – naruto Aug 5 '16 at 1:49
  • Seen わかんない several times in the same manga, yet it didn't occurred to me that [乗]{の}んなかった is a similar case. Noted about [来]{き}な, thanks! – kroki Aug 5 '16 at 8:13
  • @naruto Haha, I'm not sure, I feel like both work – ishikun Aug 5 '16 at 17:54
    乗んなかった can be only read as のんなかった. 乗らんかった is another possible sound change of 乗らなかった, but it has to be distinguished. – naruto Aug 6 '16 at 3:12
  • @naruto Oh LOL, I corrected the wrong part :P. Feel free to edit my post next time :) – ishikun Aug 7 '16 at 19:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.