I know the meaning of this phrase I believe, it is used to give the most common or important example when you are abbreviating a list. I can't come up with anything that sounds really good as a translation.

Policy A, Policy B をはじめとする guidelines on the topic of X.

What I have at the moment is

Guidelines on the topic of X including Policy A and Policy B.

• "with A and B being the first (two) on the list" とか "with A and B at the head of the list" とか "including, most importantly, A and B" とかだと変ですかね・・ – Chocolate Aug 10 '16 at 4:40

http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/%22%E3%82%92%E3%81%AF%E3%81%98%E3%82%81%E3%81%A8%E3%81%99%E3%82%8B%22

Policy A, Policy B ... をはじめとする 

... the guidelines starting with Policies A, B, ...

...  including / such as Policies A, B, ...
  • ... guidelines, notably Policies A, B, ...

• ... guidelines, most notably Policies A, B, ...

• ... guidelines, the best examples being Policies A, B, ...

• ... guidelines[,] exemplified by Policies A, B, ...

• ... guidelines[,] whose list is headed by Policies A, B, ...

Policies A, B, ... and other guidelines

• Thanks for the suggestions. I think they are all good and it is just good to have lots of possible options to use. – user3433634 Aug 23 '16 at 4:25

How about: Starting with policy A and policy B....

Think of と as an "assignment of value" particle.

Could you please provide more detail? What does "assignment of value" mean? – Blavius Aug 9 '16 at 14:16

はじめとする has the general meaning of "commencing/starting with" and is an irregular verb.

• Do you mean はじめとする is a single verb? – Chocolate Aug 8 '16 at 3:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.