I am confused with verbs using Shimashou. At first I thought it meant to do something together (Let's do x...) because in most of the examples I heard that was the case. 食べましょう。/ 歩きましょう。 Then I started to see several sentences where it was used, but it meant I will do something. Two examples would be:

市内をぐるっと案内しましょう。
その事は、確かめておきましょう.

How can I tell the difference? I will do/we will do?

• When you exclaim "ok, let's add some salt to the soup" even though you use "let us" form, you don't expect every single person at the table to take a pinch and add it, do you? – macraf Aug 2 '16 at 1:59
  • So it's figurative? Is it like saying shall we? In the first sentence would it be like: "let's show you around the city". The translation is "I will show you around the city"? But why not just use: 市内はぐるっと案内します – Kevin Boucher Aug 2 '16 at 3:05
  • I'm not sure it's figurative and I don't think it corresponds to "shall we", but the "show around" example seems exact. In English you can say either, depending on the situation, familiarity with the person, etc. Why do you expect Japanese to be more rigid and have only one proper form? – macraf Aug 2 '16 at 3:39
  • I learned Sorry, but I have asked several Japanese speakers for help on this and a few of them have said it is completely wrong when the – Kevin Boucher Aug 2 '16 at 4:15
  • ...completely wrong when the? – macraf Aug 2 '16 at 4:19

The ましょう ending of verbs indicate they're conjugated in volitional-form which is a form that implies the will or intention of the speaker to do something, although this is commonly translated as "let's..." it is not the correct translation for all cases. We can see for example:

発表を始めましょう。

Translation 1: Let's begin the exposition.

Translation 2: I'll begin the exposition (now).

Here we see that there are more than one possible translation depending on the context of the sentence. In 1 the speaker was probably among his colleagues and told them to begin the exposition. In 2 the speaker stated what he was about to do (stressing his will to do so).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.