Could anyone help me with this translation? I think once per week is "shuu ichi" but with days in particular I really don't remember how to say it.

Are you looking for おき and ごと. Check those words and how they are used. – oldergod Jul 30 '16 at 5:57
  • ^ But "once a week" "twice a week" "once a day" "twice a day" etc. cannot be expressed with おき or ごと, right? – Chocolate Jul 30 '16 at 7:00
  • @chocolate the OP is not asking for twice a day. Check the title: "once every x days/weeks/etc" – oldergod Aug 1 '16 at 2:05

The most generic and useful pattern is number + counter + に + number + 回/度.

• 2年に1回 once in two years
  • 6週間に1回 once in six weeks
  • [1月]{ひとつき}に3回 / [1か月]{いっかげつ}に3回 three times a month
  • 1年に2回 twice a year
  • [1日]{いちにち}に3回 three times a day
  • [2日]{ふつか}に3回 three times in two days

There are some irregular readings when referring to a time span. See the last part of this page.

You can also say 日【ひ】にn回, 週(に)n回, 月【つき】(に)n回, 年(に)n回 (but not 時間n回, 日n回, 週間n回, etc).

• 1週間に5回バイトをする = 週(に)5回バイトをする to work part-time five days a week
  • 年(に)1度の総会 the annual general meeting

週一【しゅういち】 is a bit slangy and colloquial phrase that means 1週間に1回 (once a week). You can also say 週一【しゅういち】 ~ 週七【しゅうなな】, 月一【つきいち】, 年一【ねんいち】. (But 月三/年四/etc are rare and you should usually say 月に3回/年4回 instead)

• 週七【しゅうなな】でバイトをする to work part-time seven days a week
  • 月一【つきいち】のミーティング monthly meeting

In addition, there are 隔日【かくじつ】, 隔週【かくしゅう】, 隔月【かくげつ】, 隔年【かくねん】 which mean "every other ~".

隔週のミーティング biweekly meeting

• does the use of かくしゅう ever pose an ambiguity problem for native speakers (隔週、各週) – virmaior Jul 30 '16 at 9:28
    隔週 is [かくしゅう]{LHHHH} while 各週 is [かくしゅう]{HLLLL}, and 各週 is very rarely used IMO (we use 毎週). – naruto Jul 30 '16 at 9:34
  • Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll take it as a species of grammatical overgeneralization I've committed as a foreigner then (not to be outdone by the span nearly a decade ago where I way saying [今年]{コンネン}) – virmaior Jul 30 '16 at 9:47
  • @naruto You made your response so awesome that you forgot to answer the question. How would you say "once every x days/weeks/etc" ? – oldergod Aug 1 '16 at 2:07
    @oldergod I think the first part answer the question. x年に1回 / x週に1回 will do. – naruto Aug 1 '16 at 2:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.