I know verb-んじゃない can be used in colloquial speech as a negative imperative (e.g. するんじゃない) in lieu of verb-な (するな), but why exactly does it function that way? That is, what is the rationale/etymology behind v-んじゃない being a negative imperative?

• FWIT, the の is not compulsory.
    – oldergod
    Jul 27 '16 at 7:22
  • @oldergod, I would say that it is for this meaning, at least in Standard Japanese.
    – dainichi
    Jul 28 '16 at 3:32
  • @dainichi I have seen it missing many times for the negative command, as broccoli, kindly confirms.
    – oldergod
    Jul 29 '16 at 0:11
  • @oldergod, ~でない without の is fine, ~じゃない without の is not.
    – dainichi
    Jul 29 '16 at 0:18

Obviously it's not grammatical imperative, but the construction functions as order when used by somebody's betters (senior, superior etc.) to strongly admonish them. If I can ignore context, "You don't want to do —!" could be a way of translation.

• V(する)-んだ! (more pompously V(する)-のだ!): affirmative command
  • V(する)-んじゃない! (V(する)-のではない!, V(する)-でない!): negative command

Incidentally, the dictionary form is also employed as command, with colloquial but very overbearing tone.

• V(する)!: affirmative
  • V(し)-ない!: negative
  • Rather than "You don't want to do...", I think maybe "You aren't ..." is a more literal translation of this.
    – Locksleyu
    Jul 27 '16 at 14:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.