I'm familiar with 一人じゃない, but I'm not sure what 一人じゃ means. Is it a contracted version?

I found the word in this context below:

一人じゃ運べそうもないから、手伝ってくれる?
(Since it seems like I'm unable to carry it by myself, could you help me?)

Without any further context, I would read じゃ as a colloquialism for だ. Hence, 一人じゃ would just mean "I'm alone" – A.Ellett Jul 26 '16 at 19:18
    Will you provide the context? じゃ can be では (as in 一人じゃ無理だ。) or だ (as in ここにいるのはわし一人じゃ。) – Chocolate Jul 26 '16 at 23:33
  • @chocolate additional context has been added :) From the sentence, I'm pretty sure it means (by oneself/alone). I just want to confirm if there was a contracted version of 一人じゃない since I cannot search it up online anywhere :) Thanks for the additional information about だ (from your example, I understand that it act like an accent). – Alice28 Jul 27 '16 at 4:21
  • Since it seems it cannot be carried by yourself, would you like me to help you? <- The subject of 一人じゃ運べそうもない is the speaker (=I), and the subject of 手伝ってくれる is the hearer (=you), so it'd be like "Since it seems I cannot carry it by myself, would you help me?" – Chocolate Jul 27 '16 at 7:24
    Regarding your comment at the bottom of the edited question: this post even closed won't be deleted and will stay searchable. Moreover, marked as duplicate it will point those who searched for the phrase to a well written answer. If it got reopened, it would only allow posting more answers here and in effect make search more troublesome and confusing. – macraf Jul 27 '16 at 7:29

1人じゃない = 1人ではありません。 Consider that the negative form of “です" is “ではありません",which can also be “じゃありません" So I think “じゃ” is used as a simple form of"では".

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.