I'm trying to translate a song as practice and I absolutely cannot figure out what this one line means:

「蝕んだ身体に愛を入れて欲しいと
慣れない産声を上げた」

(It's a bit graphic, and I apologize!)

Anyway, I get the whole wanting-to-put-your-love-into-a-rotted-body thing, but the second part is throwing me off.

Is the と particle in this case being used as a quotation marker? That's what I'm thinking because of the 「産声を上げた」...though apparently that phrase can also mean "being born". And the adjective before it confuses me even more.

産声 is defined as "the first cry of a baby". 産声を上げる is a common fixed idiom which effectively means "to be born", but it's not a good idea to translate this as "to be born" in this case. Without any further context, "cried like a baby" is the safest translation I can think of.

The 慣れない part basically indicates that "crying like a baby" is not what she does often (ie. 産声 is unfamiliar to herself, not to her partner). I'm not sure how to translate this nicely...

と in the first line is the quotation particle, and the following verb is often left unsaid. See: verb+ようにと、 or verb+かと、

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.