Can anyone explain the difference between the three sentences below and also the use of the grammar?

1. わたしのがっこう は 日本人の せんせい が います。

2. わたしのがっこう に 日本人の せんせい が います。

3. わたしのがっこう には 日本人の せんせい が います。

Simply speaking, for this example, は emphasizes the topic of the sentence, に emphasizes the concept of location, and には emphasizes the location as the topic.

Translating your three examples, which correspond to は, に, and には, we get:

1. On the topic of my school (がっこう は), there is a Japanese teacher.
  2. At my school (がっこう に), there is a Japanese teacher.
  3. On the topic of (the location that is) at my school (がっこう には), there is a Japanese teacher.

All three are grammatically correct, but have slightly different nuances to them.

| improve this answer | |
    Actually, が is a subject marker. When the same noun phrase is semantically both topic and subject, the が is 'hidden' by convention. However I am not sure that is what is happening here. There is already a が marked subject 先生が and 学校 feels like 'just' a topic, not a topic + 2nd subject. – WeirdlyCheezy Jul 23 '16 at 6:31
    @WeirdlyCheezy You are correct, I confused subject with topic. Editing answer to correct my mistake. – SSTTLL Jul 23 '16 at 7:34

Grammatical explanation is this は in your sentence is a topic marker, this に is used as a postpositional particle which indicate place and this には is a compound word of に and は and this は is emphasis.

If you use は as a topic marker, the meaning of the sentence 1 and 2 is almost same but if you can use は as contrast and emphasis, the sentence 1 and 3 have the meaning.

| improve this answer | |
  • には can be simply topicalization of に, in short this は can be still a topic marker. – user4092 Jul 23 '16 at 7:26
  • @user4092 The idea about this is always difference between I and you and we discussed about this before, so we don't need to discuss about this any more. And a dictionary say that. dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/167736/meaning/m0u/%E3%81%AB%E3%81%AF – Yuuichi Tam Jul 23 '16 at 7:43
  • It looks like the information you are hoping to convey is useful, but the last sentence is a little confusing to me grammatically. Would you be willing to give me a Japanese version of that sentence so I can confirm my understanding? – WeirdlyCheezy Jul 23 '16 at 11:30
  • Yes. もし、"は"を話題の提示として使うなら、1と2の文はほぼ同じ意味となり、もし、"は"を対比と強調として使うなら、1と3の文は、その意味を持つ. Is my English wrong? – Yuuichi Tam Jul 23 '16 at 12:03
  • @YuuichiTam I wrote it for other users to read. – user4092 Jul 24 '16 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.