I want to say a sentence of the form:

This is the only shop in this town that sells socks.

i.e. there are no other shops in this town that sell socks. The best I can do is:

この町で靴下を売る店だけある。

But I think this means that there is nothing in the town other than a shop that sells socks.

How do I express this use of only?

• この町で靴下を売る店だけある doesn't mean "there is nothing in the town other than a shop that sells socks" but "(It) has enough capability as a shop to sell socks in this town". だけ here doesn't mean "only" but 丈, namely, "length" or more like "degree" in this case. – user4092 Jul 21 '16 at 7:22

This is the only shop in this town that sells socks.

The most literal translation ("this" being the subject, and "only" modifying "shop" adjectivally) would be:

• これがこの町で靴下を売っている唯一【ゆいいつ】の店です。
  • これがこの町で靴下を売っているただひとつの店です。
  • これがこの町で靴下を売っているたったひとつの店です。 (emphatic, like "one and only one")

Less commonly, 唯一の/etc can be in this position:

• これが唯一のこの町で靴下を売っている店です。

And yes, 「この町には靴下を売る店だけがある。」 means "In this town, there is only a shop that sells socks."

You can say:

この店はこの街で靴下を売っている唯一の店である。

Why downvote just to this answer? This sounds much better than この町この店だけが靴下を売る – Chocolate Jul 21 '16 at 0:00

There are several ways to say it (using the same format you gave).

To add to mikan's response, you can use 「しか」:

この町で靴下を売っている店はこの店しかない。

It sounds a little much for a casual statement but for the sake of giving an example, you can use the term 「のみ」.

E.g. この町で靴下を売っている店はこの店のみである。

• 「だけ」を使った例も一つお願いします。 – Chocolate Jul 21 '16 at 0:07

You could also just do a change of position of だけ

この町で、この店だけが靴下を売る。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.