Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I'm trying to understand everything in my first lesson (online, Rocket Japanese). I don't understand what the purpose of is in the phrase お元気ですか, which is explained as how I ask someone how they are. I believe 元気 refers to well-being or health, です is roughly the verb "to be," and か is added to turn the phrase into a question. But nowhere is お explained. Is it actually required, and if so, what does it add to the question? On the site it is translated to "how are you?"

• That is formally called "美化語 (びかご)". – Just Someone Jul 19 '16 at 2:51

お and ご, both represented by the kanji 御, are prefixes that increase the politeness of a word. They are often used when referring to other people to put them on a higher level than yourself, which is why you say 「お元気ですか」 to other people, but you say 「元気です」 about yourself.

Whether you use お or ご is dependent on the word, so ご元気 is not correct. お usually goes with 訓読{くんよ}み readings and ご with 音読{おんよ}み readings. (source) This rule is already broken by the word 元気; fortunately the kanji 御 is rarely used, so you usually don't have to guess which one it is when reading.

In addition, there are certain words that usually have お/ご on the front, such as alcohol (お酒{さけ}). Some words require it, or would change in meaning or reading without it, like sorry (御免{ごめん}), rice/meal (ご飯{はん}), stomach (お腹{なか}), and money (お金{かね}).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.