I'm reading a manga and a man (Shusuke) and woman (Nozomi) are having a conversation. It starts out with them talking about congratulating a mutual friend (Sawada) on getting a job when Shusuke says:

(1)

あーあいつのぞみちゃん狙いだからな

I believe it says "Ah— That guy (Sawada) is aiming for you, Nozomi-chan." Since there are no particles, I'm just guessing.

Nozomi responds by saying Sawada told her she can make a reservation to the restaurant any time she wants and then says:

(2)

なんだったかな?つくお店

Which I've translated to "I wonder..." but I don't understand the rest of the sentence because I don't know what  means which, in turn, causes me to not know what つく means. I'm guessing つく is a verb because when I look it up on jisho.org, only verbs come up. Jisho.org doesn't turn anything up for ル/る either.

So, I guess I actually have 2 questions, but I didn't want to separate them because they flow together for contextual reasons.

1. How to translate the first sentence since there are no particles

2. What does ルのつく mean

I feel it could be ル as in the French "Le". The basic meaning being "A restaurant with 'le' attached to the name", which has a kind of implication of some fancy French place that she's wondering if she can get a reservation at? Could be completely off though. – Ciaran Jul 17 '16 at 8:49

「あー、あいつのぞみちゃん[狙]{ねら}いだからな。」

「あー、あいつのぞみちゃん狙いだからな。」

This sentence means exactly what you guessed it did.

Note that there is no particle "omitted" between 「のぞみちゃん」 and 「狙い」. 「~~狙い」("aiming at ~~") is a very common phrase and it can be treated as one word as far as grammar.

Regarding 「ルのつくお[店]{みせ}」, it means "the shop/eatery whose name starts with 「ル」". 「つく」 is indeed a verb and it is written 「付く」 in kanji. = "to be attached", literally. Here, it means "to be included (in the spelling), particularly as the first kana".

「ルのつくお店」 is, of course, a relative clause in which 「の」 means 「が」. There has been a question about this 「の」 recently.

• So I can use the ”ルの付く” set-up as a general format for "noun that starts with this (or has this) kana?" (kana) の付く (noun) – Rose Jul 17 '16 at 15:00
    @Rose Yes, 付く can mean both "starts with" and "has". For example, see 数字のつく歌. – naruto Jul 17 '16 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.