There is a line in an anime said this:

でも[高校生]{こうこうせい}のみ[運]{うん}ないな。

I understand all the vocabulary in the above line. However, I really don't know which one is indicated by のみ, the high school or luck?

So I try to translate it randomly, in the way I feel most comfortable:

But, you're only unlucky high school student.

Am I right? Thanks for advance.

Update: The context is a boss having a conversation with a newbie. It happens in workplace for graphic designer, btw. The previous lines of this boss is about how surprised she is when she learn how young her new junior is, just graduating high school.

closed as off-topic by naruto, Dono, Earthliŋ Jul 14 '16 at 8:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – naruto, Dono, Earthliŋ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This phrase seems to be out of context, and "のみ" rarely appears in daily conversations. Probably you've misheard something...「でも高校生に見えないな」 or something like that. Can you write out the previous lines? And in what episode of what anime did you hear this? – naruto Jul 14 '16 at 6:17
  • Yeah, thank you. You are right. Bad ears. I'm going to scroll it for taking your time right now. – Star Light Jul 14 '16 at 6:27

Some context would be helpful as it seems a very colloquial expression. Anyway I believe that のみ here refers to the student (since it always follows what it refers to) and I would translate "...but only high school student(s?) have no luck".

Splitting it a bit more, it makes me feel of something along the line of "(the fact of) having no luck is restricted to high school students". Does that make sense to you, given the context?

However, what seems a bit odd to me is that のみ is usually used in formal speech/writing while the sentence you wrote seems from a casual conversation.

There is some explanation about だけ and のみ here.

Some context would be helpful as it seems a very colloquial expression. Anyway I believe that のみ here refers to the student (since it always follows what it refers to) and I would translate "...but only high school student(s?) have no luck".

Splitting it a bit more, it makes me feel of something along the line of "(the fact of) having no luck is restricted to high school students". Does that make sense to you, given the context?

However, what seems a bit odd to me is that のみ is usually used in formal speech/writing while the sentence you wrote seems from a casual conversation.

There is some explanation about だけ and のみ here.

Big Edit: Thanks to a comment now we know that the sentence was actually: "高校生にも見えないな" .. That has pretty much nothing to do with your original question.

Are you 100% sure that the sentence is exactly "でも高校生こうこうせいのみ運うんないな"? Just to confirm. About being ironic I would not know, maybe a native speaker could confirm. Anyway, this sentence still seems a bit odd to me (that's why I'm asking a confirmation) – Tommy Jul 14 '16 at 5:54
    That is the best I can hear. And I think it can't be miss with the other words. In case you want to clarify yourself, you may wanna watch anime 'New Game!' episode 1 around the time '0:05:49.70' to '0:05:51.43'. (It confuse me a lot too.) – Star Light Jul 14 '16 at 5:59
    Would be good if there were subtitles to check.. At the moment I don't really have the time to check it out, sorry. – Tommy Jul 14 '16 at 6:11
    OK, I got it from the official video nicovideo.jp/watch/1467961100 and found that you heard "高校生にも見えないな" I can't see you even as an high school student. – gecko655 Jul 14 '16 at 6:20
    Thanks! This makes clear and solves the oddity of the original sentence. – Tommy Jul 14 '16 at 6:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.