The whole sentence is: 私となりに住んでおります綾瀬と申します

It's from the manga yotsubato, that I'm trying to read along with a translated version. The translated one says "I live right next door. We're the Ayase residence"

So I couldn't find anything conclusive about this なり word, and I also don't know about this と, if it's part of the same expression, or a separate particle, and if it is, I don't know the role it's playing here. Could you please clarify?

that's one word... the kanji is [隣]{となり}... – virmaior Jul 13 '16 at 23:31

I think you are confused because you are trying to distinguish と and なり while it is just a single word: となり, or 隣 in kanji, that means "neighbor/next to (as in living next door)". This should clarify your doubt I hope.

• Thanks! When I put the sentence in jisho.org their system separated と from なり so that caused the confusion. I should have tried to search for them together. – Felipe Müller Jul 14 '16 at 0:30
    It seems like there should be a pause or a は after 私 in the example sentence. Maybe that's why jisho.org didn't parse it as expected. – sazarando Jul 14 '16 at 1:37
  • Yeah actually I was thinking the same thing. – Tommy Jul 14 '16 at 2:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.