The whole sentence is:

となりに住んでおります綾瀬と申します

It's from the manga yotsubato, that I'm trying to read along with a translated version. The translated one says "I live right next door. We're the Ayase residence"

So I couldn't find anything conclusive about this なり word, and I also don't know about this と, if it's part of the same expression, or a separate particle, and if it is, I don't know the role it's playing here. Could you please clarify?

that's one word... the kanji is [隣]{となり}... – virmaior Jul 13 '16 at 23:31

I think you are confused because you are trying to distinguish と and なり while it is just a single word: となり, or 隣 in kanji, that means "neighbor/next to (as in living next door)". This should clarify your doubt I hope.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thanks! When I put the sentence in jisho.org their system separated と from なり so that caused the confusion. I should have tried to search for them together. – Felipe Müller Jul 14 '16 at 0:30
    It seems like there should be a pause or a は after 私 in the example sentence. Maybe that's why jisho.org didn't parse it as expected. – sazarando Jul 14 '16 at 1:37
  • Yeah actually I was thinking the same thing. – Tommy Jul 14 '16 at 2:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.