I'm new here but had some trouble finding this so I am going to ask.

Is it OK to have more than one は or が particles in the same sentence, I've realized that in cases that there is a comma it is OK because the sentence is fragmented but I have no clue in cases where there no comma.for instance the sentence "I don't like people who like fish". I have come with three ways to write it and Google translator have the same translation for the 3 of them bUT I feel that only one is right:

1.私は魚が好きな人が好きじゃない

2.私は魚好きな人が好きじゃない

3.私は魚好きな人すきじゃない

For some reason I fell the third one is the correct, so I ask you, which one is the correct and why?

Thanks in advance.

It's OK to have two or more が/は in one sentence, and this typically happens when a relative clause is involved, like in this case. (I think you know the basics of relative clauses, but here's a good starter: Relative Clauses and Sentence Order)

1. 私は魚が好きな人が好きじゃない。
  2. 私は魚好きな人が好きじゃない。
  3. 私は魚好きな人好きじゃない。

These all make sense, and carry the same meaning.

But Sentence 3 sounds blunt and a bit unnatural to me. While simple particles like が/は tend to be omitted in simple sentences in casual conversations, a longer noun clause like 魚好きな人 ("people who like fish") tends to be explicitly marked with some particle. Otherwise, the sentence would be hard to parse.

• 本読んだ。 (okay in casual conversations)
  • [?] 友達に借りた厚くて難しい本読んだ。 (makes sense, but を is usually expected after 本)

And also note that 好【ず】き after a noun is almost considered as a suffix ("-phil", "lover"), so Sentence 2 looks okay simply because 魚【さかな】好【ず】き sounds like one na-adjective. Note that 好き is read as ずき due to rendaku.

• Thanks a lot, I'll give the links a read and study more! ありがとうございます! – Felipe Oliveira Jul 15 '16 at 19:09

The correct translation is 1.

私は魚が好きな人が好きじゃない。

私は(noun)が好きじゃない and the (noun) is 人 which has been modified by 魚が好きな.

• Am I correct to assume that every noun in a sentence need either a topic or subject particle? – Felipe Oliveira Jul 13 '16 at 21:54
    @FelipeOliveira Absolutely not. Nouns can be objects marked with を, or they can be linked to another noun via の, and so on. There are a lot of other roles nouns can play. (And you can mark other things with は, not just nouns.) – snailcar Jul 13 '16 at 22:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.