I came accross :

行くのに1時間かかる。

行くには1時間かかる。

And someone told me I could say :

行くのには1時間かかる。

So I would like to know the difference between all these in details please, thanks

• Very curious about this one myself. – Locksleyu Jul 13 '16 at 18:32
  • To me, 行くのには sounds more colloquial and less formal than 行くには. (← I think these two have the same meaning: 「行くのに + topical/contrastive は」) – Chocolate Jul 14 '16 at 3:48
  • @chocolate And in a sentence like 寝るには早すぎる, I don't think 寝るのに早すぎる is correct, so what about that ? – Tchang Jul 14 '16 at 9:31
  • You're right, 寝るには早すぎる (or 寝るのには早すぎる) sounds fine, but 寝るのに早すぎる is a bit awkward. (Maybe it's because ~~すぎる needs to be used with には?) – Chocolate Jul 14 '16 at 11:56

These are the same except for the contrasting nuance added by「は」

• 行くのに1時間かかる
  • 行くのには1時間かかる (帰るのには10分ですけど)
    Going there takes an hour. (But coming back takes 10 minutes)

This one is sort of a "set phrase" where the は is playing more of a topic-identifying role rather than a contrasting one.

• 行くには1時間かかる
    It takes an hour to get there

It seemed natural for me to switch up the word order in the English sentences there between using 行くのに and 行くには. Perhaps there is a shift in focus as well.

Thanks, but are you sure you would translate that way ? I would translate 行くには1時間かかる by To get there, it takes 1 hour. Doesn't really matter but I just wanna make sure i'm not getting it wrong – Tchang Jul 14 '16 at 2:27
  • I think both translations are good. The one I put in there was just the first thing that popped into my mind. – sazarando Jul 14 '16 at 2:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.