I know that in general, if a 形容詞 in modern Japanese ends in ~しい, then it was originally a シク活用形容詞, with 終止形 ~し and 連體形 ~しき. I also know that in the Late Middle Japanese period, シク adjectives developed a 終止形 of ~しし, which then merged with ~しき and evolved into modern ~しい. But I'm wondering whether there were any ク活用形容詞 that currently end in ~しい; i.e., with classical 終止形 ~し (preceded directly by another し in the adjective root) and 連體形 ~き (but again preceded directly by し in the adjective root). It seems that just by random chance some of these could have occurred.

Again, I am not referring to the ~しし 終止形 that developed for シク adjectives in the Late Middle Japanese Period.

Thank you very much.

That's an interesting idea, but it actually couldn't have occurred by random chance, because it was impossible for an Old Japanese /ku/ adjective to have a stem ending in /-i/ (or, at least, no such words are attested).

A mild caveat to this: I once read (I forget where, sorry) that for many of the adjectives that came down to us in the /siku/ group, we do not have phonographic attestation in Old Japanese to prove that they were in fact /siku/ adjectives at that stage. We just assume that they were because that's how they appear in Heian-period documents. So it's technically possible that among the /siku/ adjectives there are a few that, in Old Japanese, were just /ku/ adjectives with a stem ending in /-si/, and were reanalyzed in Middle Japanese as /siku/ adjectives (roughly as you suggest could have happened).

However, given the apparent restriction on any stems ending in /-i/, and circumstantial evidence like the fact that /siku/ adjectives tend to be semantically distinctive, describing subjective or psychological states, this doesn't seem especially likely.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.