As far as I can understand about location に indicates a location where something exists (as in ここに いる), but some verbs use it like つとめる and で the location on which an action takes place ( as in レストランで食事をする or 待つ) but with 寄る に is used (according to the N4 preparatory book), I don't understand why, may I ask your help with this?

• に indicates a location where something exists (as in ここに いる) >> But you'd also use に for "to (direction/destination)" as in "日本行く(go to Japan)", right?
    – chocolate
    Jul 8, 2016 at 23:17

1 Answer 1

• As for 待つ, it's always used with で. I don't know when to use に.
  • As for 寄る, に is used in the same way as ~に行く ("go to ~"), ~に来る ("come to ~"), ~に向かう ("head to ~"), ~に送る ("send (something) to ~"), etc. It's the primary particle that marks a destination.

That said, you cannot always expect a logical answer for this kind of question. You may find this interesting:

後で vs. 前に- Why not the same particle?

(By the way, whenever I see "to drop by ~", I can't help feeling it's counter-intuitive...)

• thank you! so it is because so, I guess it is the same with 時間に遅れる
    – Snaut
    Jul 9, 2016 at 1:22
  • (By the way, whenever I see "to drop by ~", I can't help feeling it's counter-intuitive...) Why? Counter-intuitive to what? Just curious...
    – istrasci
    Feb 23, 2017 at 17:36
  • @istrasci My intuition as a native Japanese says "to drop to ~" or "to drop at ~" is somehow more reasonable :-) Well, never mind please.
    – naruto
    Feb 23, 2017 at 18:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .