As far as I can understand about location に indicates a location where something exists (as in ここに いる), but some verbs use it like つとめる and で the location on which an action takes place ( as in レストランで食事をする or 待つ) but with 寄る に is used (according to the N4 preparatory book), I don't understand why, may I ask your help with this?

• に indicates a location where something exists (as in ここに いる) >> But you'd also use に for "to (direction/destination)" as in "日本行く(go to Japan)", right? – Chocolate Jul 8 '16 at 23:17
  • As for 待つ, it's always used with で. I don't know when to use に.
  • As for 寄る, に is used in the same way as ~に行く ("go to ~"), ~に来る ("come to ~"), ~に向かう ("head to ~"), ~に送る ("send (something) to ~"), etc. It's the primary particle that marks a destination.

That said, you cannot always expect a logical answer for this kind of question. You may find this interesting:

後で vs. 前に- Why not the same particle?

(By the way, whenever I see "to drop by ~", I can't help feeling it's counter-intuitive...)

• thank you! so it is because so, I guess it is the same with 時間に遅れる – Snaut Jul 9 '16 at 1:22
  • (By the way, whenever I see "to drop by ~", I can't help feeling it's counter-intuitive...) Why? Counter-intuitive to what? Just curious... – istrasci Feb 23 '17 at 17:36
  • @istrasci My intuition as a native Japanese says "to drop to ~" or "to drop at ~" is somehow more reasonable :-) Well, never mind please. – naruto Feb 23 '17 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.