Here is the sentence relating to my question.

「あしたのジョー」以外の作品の多くは "梶原一騎" のペンネームで書かれました。

I have searched and found that 「多く」is adverb or adjective and it should be placed before the particle 「の」. Is the word a kind of noun or particle 「の」can be placed before adjective?

In this case「多く」is not an adjective or an adverb.
多く is defined as a noun in Japanese dictionaries.

See weblio(大辞林), here: http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E5%A4%9A%E3%81%8F

There are other nouns that follow a similar pattern, like「近く」and「遠く」.

More specifically, it's a pronoun (代名詞). English many can also work as an adjective (eg "many people") and as a pronoun (eg "Many of them did", "There were many"). – naruto Jul 5 '16 at 7:05
  • @naruto I'm not sure that it can be a true pronoun. For instance, can you say 「多くはそうとは思いません」? – sazarando Jul 5 '16 at 7:26
    That sentence means "Many (people) don't think so". – naruto Jul 5 '16 at 10:22
  • その場合は、「多く」って何に取って代わっているでしょうか?そして、英文の"Many of them did"では"them"は代名詞ですが、"many"も代名詞でしょうか? – sazarando Jul 6 '16 at 0:27
    「幾つか」などでしょうか。まあ、あくまで名詞のカテゴリの1つです。 – naruto Jul 6 '16 at 0:53

多く is nominalized word formed from the te-stem of the adjective 多い.

= 多い [adjective] --> 多く [連用形 / te-stem] --> 多く [nominalized form]

So this sentence make sense.

For example, 私の学校の生徒の多くは女性だ(The students in my school are mostly girls).

• (I'm not perfectly sure on what the masu-stem is as the middle step) [above fixed a bit of English word] – virmaior Jul 5 '16 at 7:01
  • @ virmaior Thank you for correcting. The masu-stem of the adjective 多い are 多く and 多かっ. – Yuuichi Tam Jul 5 '16 at 7:16
    I think "masu-stem" is a term for 動詞の連用形 because 助動詞「ます」 attaches to it: 話し+ます=話します This term doesn't work very well for 形容詞の連用形 because 助動詞「ます」 doesn't attach to it: 多く+ます=×多くます – snailcar Jul 5 '16 at 7:22
  • @snailplane Yes. I change it as te-term. – Yuuichi Tam Jul 5 '16 at 7:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.