I can't seen to find a natural expression for "vast collection", as in:

I have a vast collection of baseball cards.

Literally there is 莫大なコレクション, but that seems pretty unnatural and I don't see it used online much. I know there are other adjectives like 巨大 or 大規模, but I can't find a good combination. Also, I am not sure if 集まり would be better than コレクション or if there is another common word pairing here.

How about [膨大]{ぼうだい}なコレクション?
(And I thought of [収集]{しゅうしゅう} for "collection", but 「膨大な収集」 doesn't sound good...)

I have vast collection of baseball cards.

Your sentence would (rather literally) translate to:

(私は)野球カードの膨大なコレクションを持っています / 所有しています。

Note that this sounds quite formal, and maybe a bit literary or stiff.

If you're looking for an expression that would be used in normal/daily conversation, how about:

(私は)野球カードをたくさん/いっぱい集めています。
(私は)野球カードをたくさん/いっぱいコレクションしています。

I've definitely heard 「膨大なコレクション」before. A quoted google search shows almost 300k hits for "膨大なコレクション". – sazarando Jul 5 '16 at 3:27
  • Just as a suggestion for emphasis, you could also write 「多岐に渡る膨大なコレクション」. – sazarando Jul 5 '16 at 3:31
    @sazarando: Google hits are misleading. Try actually going to the later pages and you'll see that there are only 176 results on 18 pages. I have no idea why it works like that but basically you can't trust the first number you see, you always need to dig a bit deeper. Well, 176 hits is still a decent count I guess. – kuchitsu Jul 5 '16 at 9:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.