I've been trying to nail down the difference between 規定 and 規則. Three different dictionaries I checked define these both as some combination of "rule", "regulation", or "provision." After checking a few example sentences, I'm starting to get a feel for the differences, but I'm having trouble quantifying them.

The example sentences for 規定 all seem to refer to some sort of stronger or more official rule/ruling, such as:

小麦の輸入禁止が法律で規定された。 A wheat import ban was enacted.

医者は彼女に厳しい規定食を勧めた。 The doctor ordered her to go on a strict diet.

Whereas 規則 seems to to a less-specific rule:

君は規則を破った。 You broke the rule.

彼らは規則を知らない。 They are ignorant of the rules.

Am I on the right track? Is there a better way to think about the differences of these words? Finally, are they both even in common usage?

There's a huge overlap between them, but if I'm going to explain the difference...

規則 is something you may follow or otherwise violate. This is easy.

Otoh, a bit less common 規定 is just the way an organization is supposed to do its job. So, for example, when we talk about pay rules, it's 給与規程, not 給与規則.

Then what is the difference b/w 規定 and 規程 (from your last example)? – scriptin Jul 3 '16 at 21:55
  • @scriptin 規程 means a "set" of rules. – broccoli forest Aug 20 '16 at 4:31

I think the answer is right there in your examples.

You've used 規定 as a verb with する, but not 規則.「規則する」 isn't used. But as you've already noted, there is some overlap in meaning between 規定・規則.

It may help to think of it this way:

規定 - 「規」を定めること・定められた「規」

• deciding upon a rule ・ a rule which has been decided

規則 - 定められた「規」

• a rule which has been decided

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.