1. What is the difference between 間 and ながら? Doesn't ながら just mean "while" while 間 can also mean "during"?
  2. どんなに ~ても and いくら ~ても both mean "no matter how". Are they interchangeable or not?
  3. Also, how is saying 最中 different from just using the ている form of a verb?
  • Maybe these should be 3 separate questions? – sazarando Jul 3 '16 at 0:05
  • Sorry, I wasn't sure if I should submit this as 3 separate questions or just as one question because I didn't want to seem like I was spamming. – Noodle Jul 3 '16 at 0:36
  • I think it would be best to have it as three separate questions. You'll probably get better answers that way. – sazarando Jul 3 '16 at 1:41
  1. I think you are right. For example, テレビを見ながら食事する(I eat foods while watching the TV.) , 冬の間、亀は冬眠する。(turtles hibernate during winter.).

2. いくら ~ても(でも) is used with pronoun, adjective, and verb. どんなに~ても is used with adjective and verb but with pronoun is unnatural like どんなに私でも. So they are interchangeable except pronoun.

3. verb + ている means progressive like I am reading the book(私は本を読んでいます) and ~している最中 means "in the act of" and "be engaged on" like I am in the act of reading the book(私は本を読んでいる最中です。). They are same meaning, aren't they?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.