I have a sentence in Haruki Murakami's 海辺のカフカ which reads:

でも形而上的であり象徴的でありながら、同時にそいつは千の剃刀のようにするどく生身を切り裂くんだ。

I understand the first part of the sentence as:

May it be metaphysical or symbolical, at the same time it's like a thousand razors... ripping apart...

But I don't get the meaning of that どく part. I don't believe it's 毒, as it's written in hiragana.

I would assume it's not 'ようにする' but instead the adverbial form of the adjective 鋭い. – Ciaran Jul 1 '16 at 23:30
  • Now that you say it, of course. ようにする is just such a common sight, that I've never even considered anything else. – hgiesel Jul 1 '16 at 23:32

「するど」 is the [連用形]{れんようけい} (continuative form) of the adjective 「するど / 鋭い」 = "sharp".

It is conjugated into its 連用形 so that it can modify the following verb 「[切]{き}り[裂]{さ}く」 = "to rip up". 

"sharp" ⇒ "sharply"

(「[毒]{どく}」("poison") or any other noun will not fit in grammatically.)

"するどく- 鋭くin 漢字 and かな)" is an inflection of 鋭い. It has nothin to do with "毒," which is a stand-alone noun.

The adjectives such as "するどい - sharp," "辛どい - painful," "くどい - insistent," "悪どい - malicious" inflect into adverbs like, "するどく," "辛どく," "くどく," and "悪どく," and adjectives like "珍しい - unusual,""憎らしい - hateful," "重々しい - heavy, " inflect into adverbs as "珍しく," "憎らしく," and "重々しく."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.