complete paragraph:

それを実際に役立たせたいなどとは、まったく思っていませんでした。しかし、われわれが最初のiPhoneを設計している時に、それが私の脳裏によみがえってきたのです。
I never thought I'd make use of that (an idea discussed earlier). But, when we designed the first iPhone, i remembered that (idea).

But what if I were to add "は":

それを実際に役立たせたいなどとは、まったく思っていませんでした。しかし、われわれが最初のiPhoneを設計している時に、それが私の脳裏によみがえってきたのです。

That is about placing emphasis? and in that context you don't need emphasis? It would sound weird / confusing? The reader would think "Why is emphasis placed there? Is he/she comparing it to something? It doesn't really matter, I will ignore that は and keep reading.".

In order for "時には to sound natural, the context would be like:

Macを設計している時に、私は世間知らずな大学生でした。iPhoneを設計している時に、社員5,000人以上の会社の社長でした。

When we designed the Mac (emphasis placed if speaking) I was a college student who knew nothing about the world. But, when we designed the iPhone (emphasis placed if speaking) I was the CEO of a company with more than 5,000 employees.

To do a contrast, place emphasis on those 2 points in time?

With regard to saying 時に、 instead of 時には、, is this explanation correct?

• Possible duplicate of とは、では、には Understanding of double particles – strawberry jam Jun 30 '16 at 15:44
  • @strawberryjam My question is much less open-ended. I'm talking about just one sentence. A pro translator wrote "~時に、" where I wrote "~時には、". I think what I did was add a contrastive は where it is not needed. And, that makes my translation sound unnatural, but has no other impact. – Just Someone Jun 30 '16 at 16:56

Macを設計している時には、私は世間知らずな大学生でした。

• At the time when we designed the Mac...

しかし、われわれが最初のiPhoneを設計している時に、それが私の脳裏によみがえってきたのです。

• But when we were designing the first iPhone...

しかし、われわれが最初のiPhoneを設計している時には、それが私の脳裏によみがえってきたのです。

• But at the time when we were designing the first iPhone...
  • So, " (present-continuous verb tense + いる時に、" comes out basically meaning "while"? – Just Someone Jun 30 '16 at 15:18
  • That sounds right to me. These all sound good, "while we were...~ing", "when we were...~ing", "as we were...~ing" – sazarando Jun 30 '16 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.