What does the grammar expression ~たい次第{しだい} mean

For example:

次回の集まりをお誘いいただきたい次第です。

• @virmaior Ah, yes there should. Well spotted! Edited – paullb Jun 28 '16 at 2:01
    What are you trying to say by 「集まりをお誘いいただきたい」? – Chocolate Jun 28 '16 at 3:54
    As @chocolate is asking, the sentence makes almost no sense as-is. Why is 「を」 being used? – l'électeur Jun 28 '16 at 14:45
  • @l'électeur This was the sentence that I received (i.e. not written by me) from a Japanese person. Which is why I am asking for, I only substituted 集まり for a different equivalent word. – paullb Jun 29 '16 at 3:15
    Oh.. 😢 My English is not good enough to see whether @l'électeur's comment was impolite or not but, all I can say here is that the original sentence is not grammatically correct and doesn't make much sense as is.. Maaaybe the person who wrote it tried to type/write "次回のライドお誘いいただきたい次第です" which would make a little more sense, but who knows... – Chocolate Jul 1 '16 at 9:28

I think 次第 is being used as a formal and polite way to mention the circumstances or reason for the desire expressed by たい.(頂きたい気持ちが湧いた、その事情のことが「次第」)

お誘いいただきたい次第です

"So I eagerly await your invitation."

You could also say,

お誘いいただきたいのです
お誘いいただきたいわけです

with basically the same meaning, just a little less polite and formal.

• I was figuring it was something like that, but I wanted to be sure! Thank you! – paullb Jun 28 '16 at 4:41
    How could anyone answer this question when OP's sentence makes practically no sense? – l'électeur Jun 28 '16 at 14:42
  • I think I understood what he was getting at. No? – sazarando Jun 28 '16 at 14:47
  • @sazarando Yes, You're reading is along the liens of what I had, I just wanted to be sure on the politeness level. – paullb Jun 29 '16 at 3:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.